Heian Jingu Shrine
The Heian Jingu Shrine was established in 1895 to commemorate the 1,100-year anniversary of the return of the capital to Heian (modern day Kyoto) and enshrines Emperor Kanmu, the 50th Emperor of Japan who ordered the return of the capital to Heian. In 1940 (the 2,600th year since the first emperor came to power), the spirit of Emperor Komei, the 121st Emperor of Japan and the last emperor to live in the capital of Heian, was enshrined here jointly with Emperor Kanmu. Thus, these figures and this shrine came to be widely worshiped as the deities of Japanese culture.
The main shrine building is a replica of the Chodoin, which is the main building of the Heian Palace, built at 5/8 scale of the original. The magnificent stature of the current Heian Jingu Shrine is made up of the various original structures built in 1895 such as the Daigokuden, Outenmon Gate, Soryuro, Byakkoro, Corridors, and Ryubidan Steps that have been renovated or reconstructed over the years.
In December of 2010, 6 structures including the Daigokuden were designated by Japan as an Important Cultural Property along with the 24.4-meter high Grand Shrine Gate (Otorii) along the path to the shrine, which was designated as a Tangible Cultural Property.